Saturday, July 08, 2006

Library 2.0?

Wondering what Scrapplers think of the term "Library 2.0?" Buzz, hype, or is there something to it?

Recently, I came across this posting on Library Stuff and it reminded me of some conference talks I've heard recently.

Personally, some of the concept I like...like connecting patrons to library services with a give 'em what they want attitude. But I still remember the first time I heard this term I was turned off by equating this--in my mind--to Netscape 1.0, and subsequent versions.

Library services and our relationship with patrons are more complicated than 1.0, 2.0 aren't they?

Or are people who are 2.0 the ones who can work outside the "library" box and look at new possibilities?

4 comments:

Woodson said...

I'm still mulling this over. Like you I get and appreciate the Web 2.0 analogy. But there's something that nags at me about the concept as I've seen it bandied about.

Maureen Beck said...

I'm a little fuzzy on what it really means. Does it encompass the new wave of blogs, wikis, Facemail and other online community-oriented stufff that is cropping up? Or is there a hardwire bandwidth component to it as well? I looked it up and saw that it is a consortium that is working on high speed data transfer. Can someone un-confuse please?

Susan Payne said...

There are many different definitions of this, so I think that adds to the confusion I think.

Here's some thoughts http://cites.boisestate.edu/v6i2a.htm

Susan Payne said...

Another article:

Library 2.0 Theory: Web 2.0 and Its Implications for Libraries

http://www.webology.ir/2006/v3n2/a25.html

by Jack M. Manes, MLS, University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries
in June 2006 issue of the online review Webology

Received June 19, 2006; Accepted June 29, 2006

Abstract

This article posits a definition and theory for "Library 2.0". It suggests that recent thinking describing the changing Web as "Web 2.0" will have substantial implications for libraries, and recognizes that while these implications keep very close to the history and mission of libraries, they still necessitate a new paradigm for librarianship. The paper applies the theory and definition to the practice of librarianship, specifically addressing how Web 2.0 technologies such as synchronous messaging and streaming media, blogs, wikis, social networks, tagging, RSS feeds, and mashups might intimate changes in how libraries provide access to their collections and user support for that access.