Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Shelfari

Hi all, been a long time since I posted.  Thought some of you might be interested in Shelfari. If you haven't tried it, it's a social networking site where people share what books they are reading. 

It is extremely easy to set up. Somebody sent me an invite, though I'm sure you could sign up on the site directly. When I signed up via the link, it asked me if I wanted to import my gmail address book friends who already were on Shelfari. Annoyingly though, it then wanted to send invites to everybody in my contacts list....and I have a lot on that list that aren't in my address book (people from listservs mostly). There wasn't an uncheck all, so after unchecking about 15, I closed the window. When I logged back on today to plow through that list, I found I didn't have to, it took me directly to my home page, where it showed my one friend and group lol. 

Adding books to your shelf is very easy also. You just search on title, author, or ISBN etc and get a list of results you can select from and with just one click, add that title to your shelf. When you log onto your shelf, you see a selection of books from your bookshelf.

I've avoided most of the social networking attempts, like twitter, face book, etc., however, we're trying this site out to see if our local friends of the library group wants to make use of it somehow.

No comments: